WordPress is a Content Management System (CMS). It can be used for a simple blog, through to complex websites and e-commerce stores. WordPress is the most popular CMS out there with over 50 million websites and it is FREE to install, use and upgrade. There are thousands of plugins and templates available as well.
Here are some other reasons to use WordPress:
- It’s the most popular CMS in the world
- It is open source with lots of room to expand
- It is highly customisable
- WordPress is designed for anyone, not just developers and is easy to use
- Very low setup cost and minimal maintenance costs
- You can create any type of website with WordPress, i.e E-commerce, membership sites, blogs to name a few
- SEO friendly, fast, good coding techniques, optimised
- Very large community and support group
- Easy integrations
- It is only going to get better
So should I be using it or have a developer make me a custom dynamic website? Well the answer is complicated, but here are some questions to ask yourself to help you make the decision:
- Would you like a fully custom designed theme or use a built in WordPress theme?
- Would you like custom features that may be specific to your business and not available in WordPress?
- Do you have specific business requirements?
- Security concerns with WordPress such as brute force attacks on poor passwords, and holes created by third parties who are not professionals creating plug-ins.
- Bad Programming by unskilled persons creating third-party plug-ins not created by credited companies or professionals. Optimisation may also be compromised slowing down your website.
- Control of Source Code if you have your own website custom designed by a professional web developer. The code is yours, where WordPress site themes and plug-ins are not.
- Updates to WordPress and plug-ins do happen often, it is up to you to test these and implement them or risk being on an un-supported version. A web developer would take care of this for you on a custom designed website.
- Dedicated Support can be provided quickly and efficiently by your web developer on a custom designed website. Support for WordPress is community driven and you may not get support immediately unless you end up paying for support anyway.
The above are not all the reasons to make a decision between a web developer providing a custom designed website or a WordPress website in a do it yourself fashion.
You could choose to hire a website developer and have them build your website on the WordPress platform, and this is a perfectly satisfactory solution.
At the end of the day, the choice is down to your business plan and online strategy, and most of all supportability as your website is a living system that requires on going management from you, your team or your website developer, or all of the above.
If you need help with your WordPress website, or help with a new website, or support with your current website, contact us on 02 8320 0599 or email email@example.com and setup a time to connect you with technology today. We are your local Website Support and Development business in the Campbelltown & Macarthur region.
Some information from: